Admission Requirements Diagnostic Medical Sonography
The DMS program begins once each year in the fall. Applications will not be considered until all required materials are received. Review of complete applicant files begins after the priority deadline. The review process requires six to eight weeks.
High School Applicants
(EAGER - Exceptional Applicant Guaranteed Early Enrollment)
The EAGER admission process allows outstanding high school students to request admission to Allen College. If an EAGER applicant is admitted, enrollment is guaranteed for a specified term. All admission criteria must be maintained, including satisfactory completion of prescribed general education courses prior to matriculation.
- EAGER applicants must meet at least two of the following three criteria:
- ACT composite score of 25 or above or another equivalent standardized college entrance test score.
- Minimum cumulative high school grade point average of 3.8 on a 4.0 scale
- High school rank in the upper 20% of graduating class
Transfer applicants must have a minimum of 25 earned semester hours of college credit prior to application review.
Beginning for fall 2020 admissions: six semester hours of required science and/or algebra coursework must be included n the 25 earned credits.
- Transfer applicants must have a minimum grade point average of 2.7 (on a 4.0 scale) in the following courses:
- English Composition*
- Oral Communication*
- Anatomy and Physiology I*
- Anatomy and Physiology II*
- Algebra or higher math course*
* Courses used in GPA for students with a previous baccalaureate degree at the time of review
- All transferable courses must be completed with a grade of C or above.
Applicants whose first language is not English must prove English proficiency prior to admission review. Visit http://www.allencollege.edu/future-students-international-student-admission.aspx for details.
A minimum of 58 credit hours in required general education coursework must be completed prior to enrollment at Allen College. Students attend a regionally accredited institution of their choice to complete the required courses.
To be considered for admission to the DMS certificate-only option, applicants must hold a bachelor's degree, associate's degree in a two-year allied health program with direct patient care, or certificate in a two-year allied health program with direct patient care.
Allen College uses a holistic admission review. The process balances academic achievement, work experience, extra-curricular involvement, leadership, community service, diversity, as well as, other applicable life experiences.
Please note: Meeting admission criteria does not guarantee admission into the program. Allen College uses a competitive admission review. The top applicants are accepted each term.
Allen College accepts liberal arts and sciences courses from accredited institutions for transfer credit. However, transfer credit is not accepted for professional courses in ultrasound.