Office of Diversity Services (ODS)
2017 Summer Nurse Camp
Dr. Doreen Mingo, RN, CNE
Associate Professor and Coordinator Office of Diversity Services
1825 Logan Ave.
Waterloo, IA 50703
(319) 226-2049 work phone
(319) 610-1967 cell phone
Allen College recognizes that to successfully prepare culturally competent graduates and contribute to a more diverse healthcare workforce it must seek to increase the number of students who come from groups historically underrepresented in nursing and health sciences professions. In an effort to demonstrate our ongoing commitment to diversity the Office of Diversity Services (ODS) at Allen College works to identify and remove institutional barriers to inclusiveness and cultural awareness for the student body, the faculty, staff, patients, administrators and the entire campus community.
The ODS helps to:
- Connect potential students to careers in healthcare;
- Provide support and encouragement to diverse students, faculty and staff;
- Implement professional development programs related to diversity and inclusion for faculty, staff and administrative personnel of the college;
- Improve the recruitment, retention and graduation of a diverse student body, especially students historically underrepresented in nursing and health professions careers;;
- Increase cross cultural awareness, interaction, communication, and engagement; and
- Promote Allen College's institutional commitment to the success of students from diverse backgrounds.
Historically underrepresented groups in nursing and health sciences include, but are not limited to:
- Ethnic minority students
Allen College realizes that by intentionally increasing diversity in race, ethnicity, gender, culture, socioeconomic status, age, disability, religious affiliation, and nationality we are fostering an appreciation for the richness of our diversity, preparing our students to work in a global society, and creating an environment where all feel welcomed and valued.
The ODS partners with various community stakeholders to promote nursing and health sciences careers to students from diverse groups.
The Allen College Diversity Vision
Diversity at Allen College is a process of inclusion that increasingly strengthens our role in the 21st century. Through the complete integration of diversity into all of Allen College's core activities we will enhance the dynamic potential of the entire community. In essence, new ideas and concepts that flow from diversity are vital to our quest of being considered a premiere institution.
The Allen College Diversity Mission
The mission of the Office of Diversity is to foster an inviting learning environment for faculty, staff, and students who bring varied human characteristics, backgrounds, interests, and points of views that serve to enrich the Allen College community.
Allen College is committed to diversity inclusion and support of individuals from all groups, encompassing the diverse characteristics of our community. Among these characteristics are socioeconomic background, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, and religion.
Allen College's Diversity Values
Allen College's Diversity Goals
- Representational Diversity - Recruit, retain, advance, recognize, and promote a diverse student body, faculty, staff, and administration while creating a campus-wide community that celebrates its own diversity as one of its strengths and as a means of shaping Allen College identity.
- Curricular Transformation - Incorporate principles of multiculturalism, pluralism, equity, and diversity into Allen College program curricula.
- Welcoming and Inclusive Campus Climate - Events, messages, symbols, and values of the campus make it a welcoming and inclusive environment for all students, faculty, staff, and members of the broader community.
- Supporting diverse students:
- Increase student success, retention, and persistence, among historically underrepresented student groups.
- Establish programs and outreach activities to attract diverse student populations.
- Develop and implement programs and services to provide equitable opportunities for all students.
- Eliminate barriers to attracting and maintaining a high quality and diverse faculty and staff.
- Establish an ongoing program to review, enhance, and coordinate issues and programs associated with student equity, access, opportunities, and success.
- Promote a cross-cultural understanding among and between students, faculty, staff and college leaders.
- Provide career advancement opportunities for staff in order to support, attain, and maintain diversity at all levels of the college.