Timeline for Reviews | ACIRB
Due to the number of protocols reviewed by the ACIRB, PIs are advised to submit their applications well in advance of the proposed start date or the continuing review date of the project. Although a review often takes less time than shown in the table below, it's wise to allow for the longer time frame, especially during peak periods such as the beginning of fall and spring semesters.
PIs will be notified of the level of review and completeness of the application within seven days of submission. For projects requiring full review, PIs will be notified of project status (e.g., approved, modifications required, disapproved, tabled, etc.) within seven days of the ACIRB meeting.
| Type of Review
||Estimated Time to Allows for Review and Final Decision
|New Project (Full Review)
|New Project (Exempt or Expedited Review)
To eliminate the possibility of a protocol backlog due to handling rush requests, the ACIRB staff are not able to assist investigators with "rush" reviews (e.g. investigators insisting that a review needs to be complete by a specified day/time that does not follow the above timeline). All incoming proposals are reviewed in the order that they are received. Any students submitting a proposal to the ACIRB in the semester they are planning to graduate will be given preference over students graduating at a later date.
All proposals undergo a pre-review process to ensure that all materials and information needed for review are included and to determine the review level of the project (i.e., exempt, expedited, or full board review).
The ACIRB full committee meets once a month during the academic year to review proposals. A current meeting schedule along with due dates for submission can be found on the Allen College website. Materials to be reviewed at a full committee meeting must be submitted two full weeks (fourteen calendar days) in advance of the meeting to allow time for pre-review and distribution to ACIRB members with adequate time for individual members to review all protocols prior to the meeting. Following pre-review, proposals will be scheduled for review on the next available meeting agenda (i.e., one that isn't already full). However, not all submissions are reviewed by the full committee; many can be reviewed through exempt or expedited measures.
- An ACIRB meeting is scheduled on March 1.
- All materials must be submitted no later than February 15.
- Within seven days of the submission, the PI will be notified of the level of review and if any additional documentation will be needed.
- If it is determined that a full review is needed, the project will be placed on the agenda for the March 1 meeting, assuming the March 1 meeting agenda is not already full.
- If it is determined that the project is exempt or expedited, the project will be distributed to an appropriate ACIRB member for review and completed in the timeframe previously discussed.