The Barrett Library Computer Lab presently contains twenty-four computer stations.
Students may utilize Office 2016 (including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) on all of the computers. Each computer also has internet access. Several CD-ROM resources are available to students. A full listing of the software resources on each computer is provided in the lab. This computer lab is open twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.
Library and Computer Lab
Students presently have 24-hour access to a 24-station computer lab. The computers in the Barrett Library computer lab have Windows 7/10 operating systems and the Office 2016 software suite (Word 2016, Excel 2016, PowerPoint 2016…). Students will have access to two black and white printers for their printing needs, as well as one scanner. The computers in the lab are connected to the Internet, possess CD-ROM and thumb drive capabilities, and are connected to the UnityPoint Health – Allen Hospital network. Various CD-ROM resources have been purchased to supplement and reinforce student learning. A full listing of the software resources on each computer is provided in the computer lab. Students should access the computer lab through the electronic access door.
Computer Lab Rules
In order to keep the computers healthy, to serve you effectively and efficiently, the following rules need to be followed by all of us.
- Photo ID required. Only current students, faculty, staff and associates may use the Computer Lab.
- Anyone using the Internet or other online services are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner. Access is restricted to legitimate business and/or student-related activities only. Allen College reserves the right to monitor all usage for appropriateness.
- NO pornography is to be downloaded on any Allen College computer.
- No personal software may be installed or downloaded onto any Allen College computer.
- You may print only one copy per document (see guidelines for printing).
- Library materials are not to be taken into the Computer Lab unless they are checked out.
- The Computer Lab is a study/work area --NO games allowed. Bringing children to the Computer Lab is discouraged. You may be asked to leave if your children are disruptive.
- The Library/Computer Lab staff reserve the right to move your belongings aside to allow another user access to a computer left unattended.
- Do not save documents or projects on Allen College computers. All documents or projects left on Library or Computer Lab computers may be removed at any time without notice.
- If the Computer Lab has been reserved for classes, specific dates and times will be posted on both Computer Lab doors.
Inappropriate conduct and/or use of any computer will result in disciplinary action up to and including dismissal from Allen College.
Guidelines for Printing
- Allen College students are to follow the Guidelines for Printing Policies established to provide the privilege of free printing.
- Printing is for academic-related coursework only; personal printing is prohibited.
- Only one copy of a document may be printed. Duplicate or multiple copies should be photocopied
- PowerPoint presentations should be printed in handouts/outline view only, or with multiple slides per page.
- Use only the paper stock provided by the Library, any exception requires the permission of the Library Personnel.
- Allen College reserves the right to cancel print job(s) and revoke printing privileges of any person violating printing guidelines
- The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Note that this provision applies to copying, downloading, and uploading of documents from the Web.