Henry B. Allen
In seeking to erect a permanent monument to the memory of his wife, Mr. Henry B. Allen, a prominent resident and capitalist of Waterloo, gave expression to his love and tender esteem in the building of the Allen Memorial Hospital. The erection of this beautiful structure was supervised by a group of Waterloo citizens chosen by Mr. Allen. They served as trustees until the Hospital was completed. The hospital was dedicated on Saturday, October 25, 1924, “Mrs. Henry B. Allen’s Birthday,” by Bishop J. S. Stamm, Naperville, Illinois. The hospital fully equipped was given and deeded to the Deaconess Society of the Evangelical Church without debt and without restriction, and received its first patients February 16, 1925.
A training school was established immediately and was fully accredited by the State Department. On May 1928, the first class of ten nurses graduated. The Deaconess Society and Hospital Association of the Evangelical Church was endeavoring to administer the affairs of the Allen Memorial Hospital in such a manner that Christian Services would be given suffering humanity and that young women would be trained for a noble profession.
The hospital had a capacity of ninety beds. The first floor was used for Nurses’ Dormitory. The second floor was divided into an Obstetrical and Medical Department, and the third floor was for surgical patients. There were wards in each department and a beautiful spacious sun parlor at the end of each floor.