Minimum Technology Requirements
Allen College students must meet minimum technology requirements to successfully complete online and hybrid courses. The Allen College Computer Lab is available to students 24/7 and contains 24 computers meeting the minimum technology requirements. It is highly recommended students have access to the following technologies.
Please contact Seth Vickers at Seth.Vickers@allencollege.edu or at (319) 226-2085 if you need help in obtaining, installing, or using any of these technologies, or if you have problems using any of these technologies.
Up-to-date personal computer or laptop
- High speed internet connection
- Microsoft Office 365 Software (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and OneNote)
- As an Allen College student you will have access to five free downloads of Office 365.
- Speaker to hear recorded lectures
- Internet browser
- Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer for PC
- Safari for Mac
- If you have browser problems:
- Please try a different browser. For PCs, Firefox or Google Chrome are recommended for the best performance in Blackboard
- Printer or access to a printer
- Allen College provides four printers for student use. Two are available 24/7 in the computer lab, one is in the Barrett Forum Library, and the other is in Winter Hall.
- Examples of commonly used technologies in Allen College courses include:
- Remote Proctor Now
- Collaborate Ultra
- Adobe Reader
Please note that other possible technologies, such as Epocrates, subscriptions (such as to free email lists like Tomorrow's Professor, Faculty Focus, and the like), plug-ins, etc. may be required in specific courses. Information on obtaining these technologies will be provided in individual courses.