Distinguished Alumni Award
"De Carter was a dedicated, caring, marvelous nurse and woman...she had an abiding love of people and is a very caring and humble person. The good deeds she did for her community and her artistic abilities go beyond extraordinary."
Dolores Carter 2001
Dolores Carter graduated from Allen Memorial Hospital, Lutheran School of Nursing in 1946.
- Nurse Cadet for three years
- Staff Nurse at Veteran's Hospital, Des Moines, IA for 4 years
- Assistant Director of nursing in surgical area-Veteran's Hospital, Houston, Texas for 5 years
- Night Supervisor at Schoitz Memorial Hospital in Waterloo, IA for 7 years
- Waterloo Public Nurse for 1 year
- Hawkeye Chapter of the American Cross Nursing Director for 22 years
As a testimony to her dedication and ability, in 1987 the "De Carter American Red Cross Nursing and Health Service Award" was established to be awarded annually to an outstanding volunteer nurse. What an honor and tribute!
That same dedication, hard work and creativity was exhibited as she became a board member of the Allen Alumni Board 14 years ago. She single handedly made numerous table decorations for the banquet and reception dinners. Some additional hobbies that De Carter enjoyed were:
- She was a member of the "Green Scene" plant sales
- She does sewing for her church
- Panda bears for the American Cancer Society and Teddy Bears for the crisis centers