Minimum Computer Skills Requirements
Regardless of the program of study or class format, it is recommended that students at Allen College possess the following computer-related skills:
- Create computer documents using a variety of software applications (e.g., word processing software, presentation software, spreadsheet software, etc.)
- Cut, copy, and paste text
- Save documents on a personal computer or portable storage device (e.g., memory stick; flash-, jump-, or thumb drive)
- Retrieve and open documents from their stored locations
- Print documents
- Navigate the Internet using a web browser (e.g., Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari)
- Use a learning management system (e.g., Blackboard or Evolve)
- Use the Allen College email system
- Attach documents to Allen College emails
- Use the search engines and follow online links (e.g. Google, EBSCOhost , etc.)
Are you ready to learn online? Take this quiz to find out!
Students who may be lacking necessary computer related skills may want to consider taking a course at a local community college or university. Students may also contact David Wu, Instructional Technology Specialist (firstname.lastname@example.org or 319-226-2054) or Seth Vickers, Instructional Designer (email@example.com or 319-226-2085) for further assistance regarding training resources.