Minimum Computer Skills Requirements
Regardless of the program of study or class format, it is recommended that students at Allen College possess the following computer-related skills:
- Create computer documents using a variety of college and health system-approved software applications as outlined in the Allen College "Minimum Technology Requirements"
- Cut, copy, and paste text
- Save documents on a personal computer or portable storage device (e.g., memory stick; flash-, jump-, or thumb drive)
- Retrieve and open documents from their stored locations
- Print documents
- Navigate the Internet using a web browser (e.g., Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari)
- Use a learning management system (e.g., Blackboard or Evolve)
- Use the Allen College email system
- Attach documents to Allen College emails
- Use the search engines and follow online links (e.g. Google, EBSCOhost , etc.)
- Follow all cybersecurity guidelines as outlined by Allen College and UnityPoint Health
Are you ready to learn online? Take this quiz to find out!
Students who may be lacking necessary computer related skills may want to consider taking a course at a local community college or university. Students may also contact Jared Roller, Instructional Designer (Jared.Roller@allencollege.edu) or David Wu, Instructional Technology Specialist (David.Wu@allencollege.edu) for further assistance regarding training resources.