Dr. Jared Seliger, President
Allen College is located on a beautiful campus in Waterloo, Iowa, and stresses the interrelationship of academic and professional studies. Allen students will be prepared for their future as health professionals with confidence and competence. Our web pages give you a glimpse of the range and depth of our undergraduate and graduate programs and services available to our students, faculty, staff, alumni, parents and other community members.
The College is dedicated to a holistic approach to education recognizing the uniqueness of each student. In all of this, we remain central to our philosophy which is 'in keeping with the true spirit of Christian love and service...' and '...with emphasis on the art of human caring.' Allen College places an emphasis on providing an exemplary student experience where the academic programs and services are designed around meeting our students’ needs.
Allen College is at the forefront of educating healthcare professionals in Iowa. The College is very proud of the quality of our academic programs and the special emphasis we provide in nursing and health sciences. It is an exciting time at Allen College as we have many accomplishments to celebrate and we are changing the direction of nursing and health science education in Iowa. We are offering our students more and better opportunities to reach their goals and embrace their roles as healthcare professionals of tomorrow.
I’m proud to share with you some of our accomplishments:
- Allen College graduates continually exceed state and national averages on national certification examinations.
- Allen College awarded over $1,000,000 in institutional scholarships to students in 2021.
- The Doctor of Physical Therapy program admitted its first cohort of students in January 2021.
- The Pauline R. Barrett Collaboration Center was developed to provide more student study space and remodeled faculty offices on the second floor of Gerard Hall.
- Three areas of 5th floor of Allen Hospital were remodeled as an exclusive classroom and laboratory space for the Doctor of Physical Therapy Program.
- The Department of Education awarded Allen College $1.2 million for the Rural Postsecondary and Economic Development Grant Program.
- Numerous classrooms received technological upgrades utilizing funding through the Higher Education Emergency Relief Funds (HEERF).
- The Allen Legacy Program was established as a partnership between Allen Hospital, the Allen Foundation and Allen College to provide tuition reimbursement for Bachelor of Science in Nursing students in their final two semesters in exchange for a work commitment at Allen Hospital upon graduation.
- The Iowa Department of Public Health awarded Allen College a grant to increase student recruitment for the Master of Science of Nursing (MSN) Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner program.
- Testing pods were added to Barrett Library as a test proctoring location and private student study space when not being used for testing.
These are but a few of our many accomplishments in the past few years. Enjoy your visit to the Allen College website and come back often. There's always something new to learn about our energetic and exciting campus!