International Student Information and Resources

Allen College admits non-immigrant students holding an F1 visa. F1 students must follow specific federal laws. You can review your requirements as an F1 student by visiting Study in the States.

CPT (Curricular Practical Training)

Students enrolled in any program with clinical must complete the CPT form in its entirety. A separate form must be completed for each clinical site used to complete clinical hours for any course.

Traveling while an F1 student

Students who travel outside of the United States during breaks should take the following information into consideration prior to travel.

  • Request an updated form I20 prior to leaving the country. Requests can be made by contacting Dr. Joanna Ramsden-Meier at or (319) 226-2004.

  • It is recommended to include your admission letter, college transcript, course schedule, and bank statements with your other documentation when traveling.

  • Do not travel if your passport expires in six months or less.

  • Do not travel if your visa has expired.

  • It is recommended to get medical insurance to cover all emergencies, including travel back to the United States.

  • Carry the phone number to the nearest Embassy in case you need assistance while traveling abroad.

  • Review the U.S. Customs and Border Protection webpage before you travel.

OPT (Optional Practical Training)

  • After graduation, students may be eligible to work for up to one year in the United States using OPT. You can view regulations at the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement website.

  • Students who would like to apply for OPT must complete the OPT Request Form. If you are applying for post-completion OPT, you may apply up to 90 days prior to program completion or up to 60 days after program completion. Once Allen College notifies you that you meet the requirements for pre- or post-completion OPT, you will have 30 days to complete form I-765.